"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Movie Review: Let's Dance (1950)

Hello!
Today happens to be the second day in the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers Blogathon!
This is hosted by In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood and Love Letters to Old Hollywood!

To celebrate this, I am reviewing Let's Dance (1950). I have to say, one of elements of this movie I have seen before and it is not my favorite. This movie is also very cringy and cheesy, but despite all those things, I found myself laughing out loud more than I would have thought. Overall, I enjoyed it.

My guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless it says so.


Let's Dance (1950):
In order to escape a life that is overbearing and gloomy, a widow runs away with her son to New York. There she finds an old time friend who helps her get a job, but the boy's great-grandmother insists that he be brought up with her.
Genre: Musical
Length: approx. 110 minutes.
Costumes: 7, some were a little too short or low, but I really like the others.
Costumes by: Edith Head.
Script: 10, no bad words that I recall.
Crew:
Directed by: Norman Z. McLeod
Produced by: Robert Fellows
Written by: Allan Scott
Based on: Little Boy Blue - by Maurice Zolotow
Starring:
Fred Astaire as Donald Elwood
Betty Hutton as Kitty McNeil
Ruth Warrick as Carola Everett
Lucile Watson as Serena Everett
Gregory Moffett as Richard Everett
Roland Young as Edmund Pohlwhistle
Harold Huber as Marcel
Barton MacLane as Larry Channock
Shepperd Strudwick as Timothy Bryant
Melville Cooper as Charles Wagstaffe
George Zucco as Judge Mackenzie
Peggy Badley as Bubbles Malone
Virginia Toland as Elsie
Cinematography: 9, the dance scenes are really great!
Cinematography by: George Barnes
Music: 8, during the Jack and the Bean stock scene, I was laughing the whole time. It was great.
Music by: Robert Emmett Dolan
Quotes: 9.
Storyline: 7, there is death, smoking, drinking, suggestive things, and that one element I mentioned about.
Good For: whoever needs a laugh.
Overall Score: 7.5.

Thank you so much for hosting this, Crystal!

MovieCritic

P.S. I thought I had published this. Turns out I didn't. Sorry about that!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Everyone needs a good laugh time and again. I might watch this movie tonight. In any case, since I am passionate about dancing, I am very interested to have a look at the choreography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a saying that if you go a day without laughing that is a day wasted, and I think that is true because I really love to laugh. The dancing was my favorite part, since you like dancing I think you would enjoy it! Watching Fred Astaire always brings a smile to my face.

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles