"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Movie Review: Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Hello!
I am here to participate in Hamlette and Quiggy's Inspirational Heroes Blogathon!!
This picture is another of my favorite Christmas movies
When deciding what to do, I picked Miracle on 34th Street, because we are in the 12 days of Christmas! Please enjoy reading about one of my favorite Christmas movies!

My Guarantee: On ALL of my reviews there are NO spoilers unless it says so.

Miracle on 34th Street (1947):
"That's what I've been fighting against for years, the way they commercialize Christmas!"
Macy's Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade is about to start, but the man who is playing the part of Santa is, well, not in a condition to do so. Doris Walker, the manager of the parade, asks a passing man to play Santa. In fact, it is the actual Kris Krinkle. Doris doesn't believe in Santa, and neither does her daughter, Susan. Mr. Krinkle decides to use Doris and Susan as a test, if they will believe in him maybe there is hope that the world will get back into the spirit of Christmas.
"Oh, Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind, and that's what's changing."
Genre: Christmas, Comedy.
"'It's a fairytale.'
'Oh, one of those. I don't know any.'"
                    
Length: approx. 96 min.
Costumes: 8, nothing bad, but nothing great. I did like Susan's outfits.
Script: 10! No bad words.
"'Why do you believe there is a Santa Claus?'
''Cause my daddy told me.'"
Crew:
Directed by: George Seaton
Produced by: William Perlberg
Screenplay by: George Seaton
Based on the book by: Valentine Davies
Starring:
Edmund Gwenn as Kris Kringle,
"'Do you have any experience?'
'A little.'"
Natalie Wood as Susan.
This is seriously my favorite scene!
Maureen O'Hara as Doris Walker, "Susan, I speak French, but that doesn't make me Joan of Arc."
John Payne as Fred Gailey
Alvin Greenman as Alfred (Ugh, I couldn't get any pictures of him!)
Porter Hall as Granville Sawyer, "If that's 'normal', I don't want it."
Jerome Cowan as District Attorney Thomas Mara
Philip Tonge as Julian Shellhammer, "Maybe he's only a little crazy, like painters, composers, or some of those men in Washington."
Music: 9.
Music by: Cyril J. Mockridge
Quotes: 10! Here is where it is very inspirational!
"You've heard of the British nation, and the French nation, this is the imagine nation."
Storyline: 7, there is smoking, drinking, and it is dealing the after effects of divorce.
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."
Good For: EVERYONE!!!
Overall Score: 9!!
"I believe...I believe...It's silly but I believe."

Thanks so much for reading! Check out the other entries HERE.
I stole this from Notes of a Hartfield Girl.
Merry Christmas!!

MovieCritic

8 comments:

  1. Someone told me this is your favorite Christmas movie--

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this movie once around Thanksgiving and thought it a good one. Nice review, MC!!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love this movie! It's so sweet and takes me back to my childhood every time I watch it. There's a little girl in the Sunday school class that I teach who reminds me so much of Susan. Love her!

    Great review, MC! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everytime I watch it I smile the whole way through! It is such a sweet movie!!! Oh, how cool that you get to teach her! :D That is so great!!

      Thank you so much, Elanor!! :)

      Delete
  4. This is a sweet one! Two of my kids still believe in Santa, so I'm keeping this out of rotation until they find out that there are people who don't believe in him, as I think it'll work better for them then. So I haven't seen it in a few years, but I'm sure I will get to watch it again before long :-) Maureen O'Hara is my favorite actress, and Natalie Wood is so good, especially in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I see, in some ways it can make you believe more in what Santa is about, but if they are fine with believing what they already believe than that is great, too. :) It is a different role than I usually see Maureen O'Hara in, but she is excellent! And Natalie Wood is great. :) Thanks for hosting this!

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles