"The book is a film that takes place in the mind of the reader." ~ Paulo Coelho

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Emma Read-Along Disscusion: The End!

Hello!

Once again I am here participating in Amber at Seasons of Humility's Emma Read-Along, to disscuss my opinions on Emma, by Jane Austen, for this week, the last bit! Here are HER thoughts on this last bit. I am so, so, so, sorry this is so late! Nov. has been so busy/crazy that I haven't had time! But I am getting it out today!! Also, thank you so much to Kara at Flowers of Quiet Happiness, it was through her that I heard of this!

SPOILER ALERT! Since it is about the very end, there will be spoilers. So if you haven't read Emma, by Jane Austen, do not read this!


Favorite Quotes:

"I  have always admired her complexion," replied Emma, archly; "but do not I remember the time when you found fault with her for being so pale? When we first began to talk of her. Have you quite forgotten?"

But, in spite of these deficiencies, the wishes, the hopes, the confidence, the predictions of the small band of true friends who witnessed the ceremony, were fully answered in the perfect happiness of the union.
                                                                   Finis

General Impression:

Through out the book we have seen the changes in Emma. That is what I think the book is all about. Changing to be a better person. That doesn't mean that you have to change the people around you. Just by changing yourself to the better, other things will seem to change. It might be your point of view; Mr. Martin is just right for Harriet. Also, if you are a bachorler/bachorlette and you try matchmaking, you will eventually get a match yourself.

Questions:

Well, to tell you the truth, I don't really have any questions, I can happily say they were answered! But I'll try to come up with some.

1.  Who was your favorite character?

2. Is there a movie version of Emma that you have seen and is very close to this?

3. What did you learn from this?

4. Who do you think changed the most?

My Answers to Amber's Questions:

1. What did you think of Mr. Elton's choice in a wife? And do you believe Mrs. Elton truly cared about Jane Fairfax?
At first I thought him to be a different person, but as we saw his true colors, I think she suits him perfectly. Or at least they deserve each other.

2. Which scene of the story stood out to you the most? Perhaps one that made you chuckle...or one that melted your heart...or one that made you cringe with embarrassment.
Well, I chuckled when they were trying to figure out the charade. By that I mean Harriet was trying to figure it out. Emma had it nailed. 
One that mealted my heart was when they kept meeting Mr. Martian and Emma didn't want Harriet to pay him so much but you can see they still like each other.
Oh, the Box Hill scene. 

3. Were you content with the matches that were made by the end of the story? Do you think everyone ended up in the right relationships?
I do, I really do. I love happy endings!!! I just had to through that in there.

4. Have you read any other Jane Austen novels? If so, which is your favorite, and how does Emma rank on your list?

Well, I have read Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, and now Emma. I would have to have them go like this:
1. Sense and Sensibility/Emma
2. Northanger Abbey.

Thank you so, so, so, so, so, much Amber!!! Through this I have really come to like Emma, by Jane Austen!

MovieCritic

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have come to like Emma! I wasn't sure what I'd think, but I ended up liking it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you just have to get started! I had started it once, but I didn't like it, but once I got through the first 14 chapters I really liked it too! :)

      Delete
  2. I agree; I think the book is mainly about Emma maturing and learning to be a better person. And yay for happy endings! Glad you enjoyed Emma, and thanks for stopping by A Real Writer's Life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy endings are the best! Yeah, I like your opinions on it!

      Delete
  3. Yay!! I'm so glad you joined the read-along and enjoyed it. :)

    I like what you noted about how a person can only change oneself, but by doing so it can really make other things seem to change too. :) Nicely put!

    Great questions! I've seen the 1996 Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow, as well as the 2009 BBC miniseries. Both are great in their own ways! I recently rewatched the latter, and I think a rewatch of the former might be due soon. I've long loved that Mr. Knightley. ;) ♥

    And hmmm...that's intriguing, pondering which character changed the most! I think I might have to say Emma herself, but I'm not sure if that's simply the most obvious choice. ;) Certain characters, while their circumstances changed, seemed to be pretty constant in temperament/personality, like Emma's father and Harriet (despite her varying aspirations). :)

    Yes to Harriet and Mr. Martin melting my heart! Their attraction and affection were so obvious, and you just wish they could have gotten together sooner.

    I haven't read Sense and Sensibility yet, but I'm sure it's another wonderful read from Austen!

    Thank you again for participating in this read-along and putting together such great posts! I'm happy you found out about the read-along through Kara. :D

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I joined too!

      Thank you! I'm glad you liked my thoughts! I didn't have many.

      I still have to watch to 2009 BBC but I hope to soon! But, yes, they can't have a better Mr. Knightley then the 1996 version!!❤!

      One of the many ways of how Emma changed, I liked how she was kind to people. (aka Jane Fairfax and her aunt.)

      In some parts I was saying, "Emma! Can't you see they are ment for each other?!"

      It is super good! I would love to reread it!

      Thank you again, and again for hosting this!!!

      -MovieCritic

      Delete

To comment, or not to comment? That is the question. Whatever you decide, I would love to hear from you!! I am always open to suggestions, advice, and any other comments! Even if you don't agree with me, I would love to hear from you as long as you keep the comment respectful and on subject. And, please, no swearing. I love comments on old posts!!
My computer won't let me leave comments, so it might take a few days, but I will reply!

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, where you stop your story." -Orson Welles